Here is your learning for today! We will go through it on our Zoom call at 11am and we can answer any questions you have. Answers for the work will be posted later today, so you can check your work.
English – Writing:
DAILY SPELLING CHALLENGE!
Today, why not learn how to spell these tricky words. Or, if you think you already know them, get an adult or older sibling to test you! This blog post tells you some fun ways to practise spellings: https://www.lawfordmead.essex.sch.uk/blogs/year4/2020/03/16/spellings/
This week, we are going to be learning words with the suffix -cian. A suffix is a group of letters added to the end of a word to change its meaning.
What is the root word of these words with the suffix -cian?
For example: musician -> music
Can you write a story based on this image? Can you use ambitious vocabulary to describe what you would see, hear, think or feel?
Here is a story starter, which you can use to continue the story if you wish:
“Leave us alone! This is our home!” the animals all declared as one.
The humans didn’t seem to care…
English – Reading:
This half term, we will be reading How To Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell. Read the text and have a go at answering the questions underneath. I have put the text and questions both as a picture and a document. They are both the same but you can decide which is easier to view on your device.
- What did Toothless want Hiccup to tell him? P. 1
- Why did Toothless think the joke was hysterically funny? P.2
- How many fish did Toothless get altogether for Hiccup?P.3
- What did Hiccup wanted to prove on the Initiation day? P. 4
- What did Fishlegs notice about the dragon when he dropped his jaw down? P.4
- Why did Fishlegs think Toothless getting his tooth as good omen? P.5
- Who did the boys meet on their way home? P.5
- Why was Fishlegs angry when Old Wrinkly called the test, ’Piddly little Test.’ P.8
- Why was Hiccup going to call himself as USEFUL? P.9
- Why was Toothless whining on their way back home? P.11
Today is the last day we will be reading this story. Over half term, if you have a copy of the book at home, make sure you find out how the story ends!
Times tables starter:
Today in maths, we are learning about fractions greater than 1. Watch the following video and have a go at the questions underneath on paper.
Fractions greater than 1
Computing – animation:
Animation is the process of creating the illusion of moving images using a series of still frames. Now, we have computer animations but animation actually started a long time ago. Watch the video below to find out more:
You have the choice of different activities for this lesson, depending on what resources you have at home:
- Flip-book (requires a pen and paper/post-it notes/writing book!):
Watch this video to find out more:
2. Stop-motion animation:
This will require objects around the house and a stop-motion animation app on a tablet or phone, such as ‘Stop Motion’:
Watch these videos to find out more:
Don’t forget to post your learning on Seesaw from today. We look forward to seeing all your work!
Miss Jennings and Mrs Ganes