Hello Year 3,
We hope that you’ve had a relaxing weekend. Here is your learning for today! We will go through it on our Zoom call at 10:20 am and we can answer any questions you have. Answers for the reading and maths will be posted later today, so you can check your work.
English – Writing:
DAILY SPELLING CHALLENGE!
Today, why not learn how to spell these tricky words. Or, if you think you already know them, get an adult or older sibling to test you! This blog post tells you some fun ways to practise spellings: https://www.lawfordmead.essex.sch.uk/blogs/year4/2020/03/16/spellings/
This week, our spelling pattern is using the prefix – ‘dis‘. A prefix is a group of letters that go in front of a word and changes it into another word. The prefix ‘dis’ usually changes the meaning of a word to make it the opposite and is usually negative. For example, obey becomes disobey.
Practise this week’s words using the look, cover, write, check technique. You can draw a grid like this out on a piece of paper:
Stig of the Dump Pages 17 – 19
The next morning, Barney ate his breakfast as fast as he could. He had to go and see Stig! His Grandmother asked if he wanted to go into town but he asked to stay and play with Stig. He pulled on his boots and shot out the door.
Barney’s feet made dark prints in the dew as he headed across the lawn towards the chalk pit. He stopped. The sun was bright, yellow leaves fluttered down from the tree and a robin squeaked at him. Barney suddenly wasn’t sure he believed in Stig.
He felt the bump on the back of his head. Yesterday he had fallen and bumped his head before he met Stig. Funny things happened when you bumped your head. Perhaps you only saw Stigs when you fell and bumped your head. He didn’t want to do that again!
- Why did Barney eat his breakfast very fast?
- Which word tells you Barney went quickly out of the door?
- What made dark prints in the dew?
- What did Barney notice when he stopped on the lawn? (3 marks)
- What did Barney feel on the back of his head?
- Why wasn’t Barney sure if Stig was real anymore?
Times table starter (3 and 4):
Today in maths, we are going to learn how to multiply 2 digits by 1 digit. Watch the video carefully by clicking on the link below and then have a go at answering the questions underneath on paper.
Likes and dislikes
- Watch this video of Felix and Franzi making a fruit salad (Obstsalat) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qehBFVg8oQQ
- Today you will learn to ask if someone likes something, and to reply saying if you like it or not. On the class zoom today you will practise how to say these words and phrases with Mrs Lees. Here is the vocabulary:
- With a cuddly toy or a lego figure as your “partner”, ask each other if you like different fruits or not, eg, Magst du Birnen? Ja, das ist lecker.
- Film yourself having your conversations and post on Seesaw.
- Challenge: you could make your own Obstsalat (Fruit salad) – get an adult to help you. Can you name in German all the fruits you use? Post your photos on Seesaw!
Don’t forget to post your learning on Seesaw from today. We look forward to seeing all your work!
Mrs Dubey and Mrs Phelps