Thursday of Anti-Bullying Week was #STOPSPEAKSUPPORT Day, a time to focus on how we treat each other online.
Here is a video with advice for older children, Year 5 & 6 particularly, about what to do when ‘banter’ online turns negative.
Remember, whether online or face to face, it’s not ‘banter’ if…
- You would be upset if someone said it to you.
- It’s hurtful.
- You’re not friends.
- Someone has asked you to stop.
- The target isn’t laughing.
- It focuses on someone’s insecurities (things they worry about).
And before you post something online, THINK…
- Why am I posting this?
- Am I being kind?
- Would I say this to their face?
- Could it be interpreted differently?
- Do I have permission to post this?
- Will I feel good about this later?