Our assemblies yesterday morning were about mindfulness. We had the opportunity to listen to some calming music, forget about problems in the past or worries about the future, and just focus on our breathing in the ‘here and now’.
Below is some music and some of the activities we tried if you want to practice at home!
- Mindful Breathing – Sit up straight but comfortably, place you hands on your belly and breath deeply, in through the nose and out through the mouth. Count to 3 in your head between each breath. Feel your body move with each breath. Listen to the sound of the air and notice how it feels.
- Breath Star – Spread out the fingers on one hand and trace around that hand with the index finger of your other hand. Breath in as you trace up a finger and out as you trace down.
- Belly Buddy – Lie down with a soft toy or cushion on your belly. Just focus on the weight on your belly as you breath in and out and notice how the object moves.
- Back to Back – Sit back to back with a friend or family member. Repeat the Mindful Breathing exercise together but this notice your partner’s breathing too. Are you ‘in sync’?
- Mindful Eating – Next time you eat an apple or a chocolate bar, take your time. Breath slowly and focus on the smell of the snack, the texture and the taste. Which parts of your body are you using to chew and swallow each mouthful?
Which activity do you like best and what do you think are the benefits of mindfulness exercises like these? Leave a comment below.